Bonar Bridge lies at the south end of the Kyle of Sutherland, the confluence of the Salmon rich rivers of carron, Oykel and Shin. it was for long a ferry point, but in 1812 Thomas Telford chose it for the first of three bridges to cross here, and the village prospered until the Dornoch Bridge was opened in 1991.
Salmon were a major source of income here for centuries. They were caught in nets or traps on their way upstream and salted for export in wooden barrels until the early 19th century. Thereafter they were boiled in a brine pickle and exported in ice. Today the Salmon are only fished for sport.